[Python.NET] import changes for 2.x

Guy Robinson guy at r-e-d.co.nz
Mon Apr 3 21:53:35 CEST 2006

Perfect!

Guy

Brian Lloyd wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> One of the things I'd like the 2.x-compatible version of PythonNet to do
> is be code-compatible as much as possible with IronPython.
>
> A part of that is reconciling import syntax. Currently, you have to use
> the ' CLR.xxx' form to import modules in PythonNet, where in IronPython
> you can just say things like 'from System import *'.
>
> For the 2.x release, I propose to:
>
>   - deprecate, but still support, the 'CLR.' syntax, so current code
> would continue to work until
>     an eventual 3.x, at which point that support would be removed
>
>   - implement and guide people toward using the direct syntax
>
> I also want to implement the 'clr' (lower-case) module and move toward
> IronPython's explicit assembly loading model and deprecate implicit
> work until 3.x).
>
> I've got this all basically working now (even evil old 'from x import
> *'), but wanted to run it up the flagpole for feedback before I get too
> far, and particularly to see how people feel about deprecation
> warnings (should we? shouldn't we?)
>
> -Brian

Robinson eDesign,            P/F: +64 7 866 0626
Rings Beach,                 M: 021 238 0839
RD2,                         E: guy at r-e-d.co.nz
Whitianga.
New Zealand

The contents of this e-mail maybe CONFIDENTIAL OR LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, &
is intended only for the persons named above. If this e-mail is not
addressed to you, you must not use, read, distribute or copy this
document. If you have received this document by mistake, please call us
and destroy the original.  Thank you