[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Backward compatability

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Wed, 07 Feb 1996 11:39:36 +0100

Guido suggested (in a private message) to remove the '*' option (open
the resource fork) from open() and replace it by a method
MacOS.openrf() that opens the resource fork.

Also, he suggested doing away with the extra fields returned by
os.stat() on the mac (the resource fork size, creator and type), to
make stat() compatible across all platforms.

Will people be seriously bothered by these incompatible changes?

Also, there are three modules I would like to get rid of, in favour of
bgen-generated modules with the same functionality (but probably a
completely different interface), and again I would like to hear
whether this would hurt people. I want to replace the ctb and speech
interfaces by bgen-generated ones. Also, I want to get rid of
mactcp/macdnr in favor of a socket-like interface. For the latter: if
I do this, are there people who still want the low-level mactcp
interface (or, alternatively, an OpenTransport interface)?

If you use these interfaces: please reply. Failure to do so will
strengthen me in my conviction that I can toss these without seriously
inconveniencing people...
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm