[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Tk Python with Tcl/Tk beta 2

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 00:03:37 -0500

Following the new Tcl/Tk beta release, I've made a new version of
Python with Tk available (still only for 68K Mac, though I have now
confirmed that it can be done for PPC as well).  The URL of the
directory is

	ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/mac/beta/

Get the files README-tk, python68Kgusitk.sit.hqx and Tkinter.py (plus
the Python 1.3.1 release in the same directory if you haven't got it
yet).

For build instructions, see README-tk-build and fetch some additional
files.  The changes to _tkinter.c are incompatible with the Tcl/Tk
beta 1 (the only other changes were made to Tkinter.py and the
project; you may want to get the new macmodule.c since there were some
silent updates to it after I first announced the previous version).

The only noticeable change is the fact that the SIOUX console window
now gets its events correctly.  It is now also possible to interrupt
the Python code using Command-Period.  The bus error in CharWidth
seems to have gone, and I have successfully run several applications.
Grail sometimes works ;-)

--Guido van Rossum <guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>