[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Alpha & Emacs

James Crotinger jac@gandalf.llnl.gov
Sun, 15 Sep 96 14:23:12 PDT

Steven D. Majewski writes:

 >   Another share-ware editor, Alpha, is like a somewhat more macified
 > version of emacs: it supports syntax coloring, and interfaces to
 > other programs. You would need to write a python-mode module in
 > Tcl. I use this in my xlisp-stat programming now over BEDIT,because
 > someone else contributed an xlisp mode. I have not delved into
 > the inner working of extending the editor yet, so I have no idea
 > what it would take.

  Alpha is a pretty poor excuse for emacs. There is a version of emacs
that runs on the mac (at ftp://ftp.cs.cornell.edu/pub/parmet), but it
is based on Emacs 18. I use it when I really want emacs, but it has
some problems, so I use Alpha for most things. I'd REALLY like an
Emacs 19 port, but haven't seen any indication that this is being done.

  Jim