[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Fat distributions or separate cfm68k/ppc distributions?

Just van Rossum just@knoware.nl
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 13:08:09 +0100

At 1:55 PM +0200 8/5/97, Jack Jansen wrote:
>Yet another option is to use an installer package, but I'm also
>reluctant to do that because these things are rather expensive and I
>have no experience with how good they are. Also, this'll make the
>download at least as big as for the fat option.

I would certainly favor an installer, if it would make installing Python
easier altogether: I would love to see the file "ReadMeOrSuffer" be renamed
to "ReadMe" ;-). Which would mean that the installer copies PythonCore to
the extensions folder and create the prefs file containing at least the
pointer to the Python home directory (maybe that's harder?).
But it's getting easier already: now that Jack & I have learned how
relative aliases work, the MkPluginAliases applet could disappear (Jack,
have you played with that yet?). That's one bugger gone.

On a slightly related note: I would prefer the "mkapplet" applet to be
named "MakeApplet". "mk" is a unix-ism, that is not familiar to the average
Mac user.

I have the InstallerMaker demo here, I'll play around with it. Maybe I can
help.

Just