_Files vs __files (&1.4 vs 1.5a3) was: [PYTHONMAC-SIG] Mac SWIG & dynamic loading MacPython modules

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:48:38 -0400 (EDT)

On delving even deeper, I find that this is indeed the result of
the change from the old Plumb Hall "(Obsolete ANSI Libraries)"
that was standard up to CW10, and the newer MSL in CW11 & CW-Pro.

Python 1.4 was built with the old libraries.
Python 1.5a3 was build with the new libraries.

_Files is exported from the old libraries.
__files is exported from the new libraries.

Replacing MSL ShLibRuntime.Lib with ShLibRuntime.Lib from the
"(Obsolete ANSI Libraries)" folder, changing the access paths
to get the right includes from that folder, adding "::Objects:cobject.c"
to the project, and putting the 1.4 PythonCorePPC lib back yields
a project that properly builds a working example module from the
MacSwig distribution.

( Re: a previous thread on pythonmac-sig@python.org, and privately
  with Jack & Guido: It looks like it will indeed me necessary --
  at least going from 1.4 to 1.5, to recompile all extensions:
  if the Python C-API changes don't get you, then the C Runtime
  Lib changes will! )

[ Thank goodness I've got Elba Ramalho singing "Odile - Odila" on
  the Afro Brasil CD to console me. ]

On 15 Sep 1997, Steven D. Majewski wrote:

> However, on delving into this further I find:
>
>  Jack's suggestion does not work with MacPython 1.4 --
> There is a "_Files" among the exported symbols, but not a "__files"
> ( Checking both in the export file in the source distrib, and using DumpPEF
>  to look at the symbol table from the PPC lib in the binary distribution. )
>

> DumpPEF show that the symbol "__files" does appear in  "PythonCore 1.5a3"
> Replacing the 1.4 PythonCorePPC with than one and rebuilding does link
> without any errors. Running Python 1.5a3 and importing the example
> module produces this warning ( however, the module does appear to work
> properly. )

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
All power corrupts and obsolete power corrupts obsoletely." - Ted Nelson