[Pythonmac-SIG] why is PIL so out of date in Mac distribution?

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:42:01 -0800

I downloaded a fresh copy of Mac Python (1.5.1) this week, and installed
PIL (called "Imaging" by the installer).  It installed 0.3a1 (June 2,
1997), at least according to the ReadMe -- an ancient version.  Apparently
PIL hasn't been standing still since then; somebody from the image-sig
point out:

>Frederik Lundh announced the availability of version 1.0b1 just a few
>days ago.  See
>
>http://www.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/1999-January/000603.html

Why is my copy so out of date?  Did I goof up somehow, or is it just a
matter of none of us Mac wheels squeaking loudly enough?  (Squeak squeak!)

Thanks,
-- Joe

P.S. Is anybody able to get ahold of Just van Rossum?  I've tried several
addresses for him, and they all bounce.
|    Joseph J. Strout           developer: MacOS, Unix, 3D, AI     |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |