[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Numerical 1.9 Problem

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:54:57 +0100

At 9:12 PM -0500 3/16/99, W.T. Bridgman wrote:
>Rob,
>
>I tried installing the new Numeric.  I added the Numerical:Mac folder to
>the path, the one with all the .slb files.  However, when I try to run
>test_all.py, I get:

[ ... ]

>ImportError: PythonCore: An import library was too old for a client.
>>>>

>What does this mean?

It means that it was compiled for a different Python version. At the
moment, all C extensions are bound to one particular Python version (yeah,
we know, that's bad). We're working on a way that will keep extensions
working as long as the Python C API doesn't change.

Solutions:

- upgrade to the Python version that NumPy was compiled for (note that you
get NumPy 1.9 with MacPython 1.5.2b1!)
- get someone to compile it for 1.5.1 (I could do it for you, but not at
this very moment... Let me know)

Just