[Pythonmac-SIG] python, hypercard and apple events

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:57:11 +0100

> I'm trying to help someone get a Python script to talk to a Hypercard
> stack via AE.  Apparently I can manage to connect to Hypercard (since
> I get the expected error if HC is not running), but any AE request
> seems to return an error: -10003 (something about volume level being
> set wrong) which seems odd...

Hmm, the "volume incorrect" bit must be a bug in the program that generated
the errors for macPython, because according to Errors.h error -10003 is
"errAENotModifiable". This definitely looks like an AppleEvent error.

Let me see if I can dig it out of IM... [pom pom....] Ah. This happens if you
send, for instance, a create request to an object that can't be modified.

This means that either the logic of the Python script is incorrect, or that
there's a bug in MacPython's object-id creation code.