[Pythonmac-SIG] python, hypercard and apple events

Jeff Senn senn@maya.com
14 Mar 2000 10:44:42 -0500

Jack Jansen <jack@oratrix.nl> writes:

> > I'm trying to help someone get a Python script to talk to a Hypercard
> > stack via AE.  Apparently I can manage to connect to Hypercard (since
> > I get the expected error if HC is not running), but any AE request
> > seems to return an error: -10003 (something about volume level being
> > set wrong) which seems odd...
>
> Hmm, the "volume incorrect" bit must be a bug in the program that generated
> the errors for macPython, because according to Errors.h error -10003 is
> "errAENotModifiable". This definitely looks like an AppleEvent error.

Oops - I was typing too fast: the error was -10012

The only apparent difference with my (python generated events) and the
ones from another application (e.g. script editor) seem to be a
(non-default?) "tid" (transaction ID?) exists in the Python ones (that
must be put there by the low-level AE code...)

I noticed someone posted something about this in the December
archives, but I haven't mucked with AE stuff for years so I wasn't
sure how to interpret the msg... has anyone gotten Hypercard to handle
an event generated by Python?

(BTW- thanks for the quick reply)

--
-Jas