[Pythonmac-SIG] "Official" mac python Docs Project: requests for help/comments

Chris Barker cbarker@jps.net
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:49:43 -0700

Hi all,

I've taken a first quick pass through the Mac modules Official Python
Doc. Having looked at it again, I'd like to do more than just edit it.
I'd love to turn it into a defininative reference for Mac Python users.
Most importantly, I'd like it to have a good intro to using Python on
the Mac, and how it differs from Unix and Windows. This is particularly
critical, because all the books (and the rest of the official docs) have
a very command-line centric notion of Python.

I intend to go through the various docs that are in the MacPython
distibution, and put some of that info into this doc. I'm also hoping
folks will contibute!!

Anyway, the first step is to clean up what's there. My comments have
been gleaned from the 1.5.2 distribution, but I intend to make it all
correct for version 2.0, at Jack's suggestion. We might as well not have
it out of date as soon as it's done!

At the moment, if you want to see the doc, go to the python.org web
page. IN the future, once I have changed things, I'll send out a pdf or
something for all to look at.

Here are my notes so far. Comments and contibutions welcome:

There are a list of modules in the intro that are interfaces to various
mac
toolboxes. They are not documented. Does anyone want to provide some
documentation
for any of these?? Also, are there any others that should be on this
list? I've
checked to make sure these modules all exist. At the very least, I will
add the modules to the doc, along with a list of methods, gleaned from
the modules themselves.

AE (Apple events): (there is some stuff in the HTML docs I may take a
look at to add to this)

Cm (Component Manager):

Ctl (Control Manager):

Dlg (Dialog Manager):

Evt (Event Manager):

Fm (Font Manager):

List (List Manager):

Menu (Menu Manager):

Qd (Quick Draw):

Qt (Quick Time):

Res (Resoure Manager):

Scrap(Scrap Manager):

Snd (Sound Manager):

TE (TextEdit):

Waste (Non-Apple TextEdit replacement): exists, but is called waste
(note case). is
the is the same thing?

Win (Window Manager) :

Other Modules:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Module: mac
        Need to add the following to the list of methods:

        altsep, curdir, defpath,environ, error, fstat, getbootvol,
lseek, makedirs,
pardir, pathsep,  remove, removedirs, renames, sep,

        Clearly, none of these are going to work. should they even be
there?
        execl, execle, execlp, execlpe, execvp, execvpe,

        Attributes:
        name

        Modules in os:

        sys, path

Module: macpath
        Need to add:

        abspath, basename, dirname

Module: Macconsole
        Is this completely dead?? Is there a replacement?

Module: macdnr
        gone. functionality in standard socket module.

Module: MacOS
        Add:
        AcceptHIghLevelEvent : what does this do?

Module: macostools
        What are all the k* types? there are a whole pile of them!!

Module: aetools
        Does someone want to volunteer to docuemnt this??

Module: mactcp
        gone. see socket module

Module: EasyDialogs
        Need to add the following:
        AskPassword

        Is the text about background operation and non-modal dialogs
still true?

Module: FrameWork

        What is the status of this? Is anyone useing or developing it?

Module: MiniAEFrame

        What is the status of this?? Has it been developed since the
docs were
written? Is anyone still using it??

That's about it. Let's start adding stuff!!!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.