[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems with multithreaded I/O or import, an yone?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:27:11 +0200

First, a completely unrelated request to people who have tried
installing MacPython on a multiprocessor OSX machine and still have
the installer available: could someone please try running Python (or
ConfigurePython, or whatever) and checking whether there's any
interesting output in the system console window
(Applications->Utilities->Console)?

I've just noticed some debugging output in mine for the
test_threaded_import problem, so here's hoping there's something
interesting for the MP problem as well...

Recently, "Schollnick, Benjamin" <Benjamin.Schollnick@usa.xerox.com> said:
> 	When I use httplib, to connect to a Docushare Server, and retrieve
> the
> resulting XML file, readlines, or read(-1), doesn't seem to work
> correctly...
> readlines should read the entire document and then return... My
> understanding is the
> same with read(-1)....

This is another one. I've always said that "it's not a bug", but I'm
not so sure anymore. It may well be a bug, in that it is different
than what the Python manual says. (I've always said it isn't a bug
because it's what the C library does, but that is not important
here). But still, if it is a bug I think it is another one. Although
hunting it out may help.

> 	I doubt this is any help, but that's the only major problem I've
> seen with
> MacPython.... And of course, the lack of a easy API to the clock... But I
> got around
> that one with calldll.... (But it's still kludgy!!) <grin>

Uhm... What clock? If you've mentioned this one before I've completely
forgotten it. I would say there's enough interfaces to various clocks
(time.time(), Evt.TickCount(), MacOS.GetTicks())
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm