[Pythonmac-SIG] Python.framework under OS X

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:46:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Tim Lahey wrote:

> 5. Develop a Aqua-based GUI interface. Given the problems
> people have had using PyObjC we may want to use Carbon.
> Interface Builder supports Carbon so, people could layout
> their UI using IB.

 I've had pyobjc on the back burner for several reasons --
some personal, but also to wait until I got a look at Guido's
new solution to the Class/Type unification. One of the problems
was that the bridge translated python objects to and from
objective-c objects, but didn't bridge python Classes or class
instances transparently, so you couldn't, for example, create
a subclass of a AppKit class in Python and pass it back to
objective-c or IB.

 This could have been fixed by using extension classes, but it
didn't seem worth the bother if all of those interfaces and API
were about to change. ( 2.2a is out now, and Guido has written
up a doc that's a little more HOW-TO than the PEP's. )

 Pyobjc is going to get rewritten around this new scheme.

 The other problem with pyobjc was that we never had many developers
or users working on it, doing bug reports, writing examples and
docs. I'm aware of *MY* problems in using pyobjc, but I'm not aware
that many people even tried it. Did you ever try the HelloWorld
script ?

-- Steve Majewski