[Pythonmac-SIG] Python.framework under OS X

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre@deirdre.net
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:21:44 -0700

>On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Tim Lahey wrote:
>
>>  5. Develop a Aqua-based GUI interface. Given the problems
>>  people have had using PyObjC we may want to use Carbon.
>>  Interface Builder supports Carbon so, people could layout
>>  their UI using IB.
>
>  I've had pyobjc on the back burner for several reasons --
>some personal, but also to wait until I got a look at Guido's
>new solution to the Class/Type unification. One of the problems
>was that the bridge translated python objects to and from
>objective-c objects, but didn't bridge python Classes or class
>instances transparently, so you couldn't, for example, create
>a subclass of a AppKit class in Python and pass it back to
>objective-c or IB.
>
>  This could have been fixed by using extension classes, but it
>didn't seem worth the bother if all of those interfaces and API
>were about to change. ( 2.2a is out now, and Guido has written
>up a doc that's a little more HOW-TO than the PEP's. )

Yay.

>  Pyobjc is going to get rewritten around this new scheme.

Yay!

>  The other problem with pyobjc was that we never had many developers
>or users working on it, doing bug reports, writing examples and
>docs. I'm aware of *MY* problems in using pyobjc, but I'm not aware
>that many people even tried it. Did you ever try the HelloWorld
>script ?

I'd use it more if it seemed like it could be used for more.
Naturally, this becomes a cart/horse problem.
--
_Deirdre    Stash-o-Matic: http://weirdre.com    http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time.... Is infinite time. You... are finite....