[Pythonmac-SIG] Python.framework under OS X

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:22:42 +0200

Jack Jansen wrote:

> > Basically, I want a IB widget that one can add to their application that
> > provides
> > an interpreter view.
>
> This all sounds like magic to me. What is an IB widget? Do I understand that I
> can extend IB? How?

You can write your own palletes or what they are called,
basically some kind of bundles, that you can extend IB's
capabilities with. Just drag them in the appropriate
folder and all of a sudden you could have a pallete con-
taining one widget representing a whole Python inter-
preter or other components you've written, graphical or
not. Then you can happily start wiring these graphically.
It's very intuitive and has been there for about ten
years, now.

> Is there a way we could emulate the magic that IB does for Cocoa for
> Objective-C and Java?
>
> In my opionion Python is a language that could potentially be much better
> integrated with IB than Objective-C (I've never tried Java yet). For one, the
> "generate source files" could simply output readonly files that contain base
> classes that you then import and subclass in your own Python class. This gets
> rid of the problem that you have can't really press the "generate" button for
> ObjC after you've modified the sources (unless you're willing to risk your
> code disappearing).

Some of this must have been solved before by a company
called TipTop.com (I've asked about them here before,
but got no response). Unfortunately, they don't quite
seem to exist anymore or just don't respond to email re-
quests. Maybe someone in Bolder, CO, could try and knock
at their door?

Regards,

Dinu