[Pythonmac-SIG] Difference between library and shared libray?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:34:49 +0200

> Snack is a sound library for scripting languages.  It builds against TCL,
> primarily, but has Python bindings.  The instructions say to put it in the
> "Tool Control Language" folder in the Extensions, but I have no such folder.

Ah, then I guess that what it really is is a Tcl extension, and the Python
interface is a Python module that will use Tkinter to talk to it. Is that
correct?

I'm not sure whether Tcl extensions are usable from Tkinter with MacPython,
because (as you have noticed) MacPython Tkinter doesn't use an external Tcl/Tk
(as is the case on Unix/Windows) but has Tcl/Tk builtin.

I would say: try to create the folder, drop the .shlb in there and see whether
it works. BTW: if I remember correctly the folder name is "Tool Command
Language", not "Control".

If that doesn't work you could try adding a folder to the TCL equivalent of
sys.path. You do this by opening _tkinter.ppc.slb in ResEdit, open STR# 128
"Tcl Environment Variables" and adding a string "TCLLIBPATH=Macintosh
HD:folder:" and putting the .shlb in that folder.