[Pythonmac-SIG] Python for Mac OS X (again)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 23:47:29 +0200

On donderdag, augustus 1, 2002, at 05:41 , Aureli Soria Frisch wrote:
> Fink seems the most comfortable way to install unix-python on
> Mac OS X. Did you make some bad experiences with that?
> Could you compare a bit with other binary distributions of
> unix-python for Mac OS X?
> How about installing the following packages with fink:
>
> NumPy
> SciPy
> PIL
> Gnuplot
> Tkinter ?
>
> I have been using Tkinter for GUI development and thinking on
> changing to wxPython. The GUIs are not for complex user
> applications, but for experiment-tools internally used.

Both for Tkinter and for wxPython you need a framework build of
Python. This rules out the current fink distribution, which is a
static Python. There's a good framework Python distribution at
the wxPython site.

> PD: Is there any central info point for unix-python on OS X as
> Jack's page for MacPython?

At some point in the future my MacPython page will be updated,
but I just don't have the time for it right now. Also, things
will become a lot simpler when Python 2.3 is going to appear, as
then there's really no reason anymore to use the old MacPython
if you're on OSX, as the new MacPython (currently referred to as
MachoPython) will be a unix-Python based framework build with
all the goodies people expect from MacPython.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -