[Pythonmac-SIG] Testing Latest Mac(ho)Python

Kevin Ollivier kevino@tulane.edu
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 00:56:36 -0400

Hi all,

The release of the new Mac(ho)Python is good timing - I was planning on
testing out my wxPython on OS X this weekend. =) Compiling and setup all
went fine. PythonLauncher is really cool, gives plenty of config options
and I like the fact that you can associate Python scripts with either
Python.app or PythonLauncher.app. =) Haven't tried BuildApplet yet, but
I probably will give it a spin later this weekend. (Just curious, will
the "BuildApplication" type functionality be added to MachoPython?)

I did however run into one problem, with PythonIDE.app. For some reason,
a mkdirs function in macostools.py seems to be getting caught in an
infinite loop every time I try running it. Here's the traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/PythonIDE.
py", line 38, in ?
     import PythonIDEMain
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/PythonIDEMain.
py", line 282, in ?
     PythonIDE()
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/PythonIDEMain.
py", line 30, in __init__
     Wapplication.Application.__init__(self, 'Pide')
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/Wapplication.
py", line 27, in __init__
     FrameWork.Application.__init__(self)
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Lib/FrameWork.py",
line 113, in __init__
     self.makemenubar()
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/Wapplication.
py", line 266, in makemenubar
     self.makeusermenus()
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/PythonIDEMain.
py", line 127, in makeusermenus
     prefs = self.getprefs()
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/Wapplication.
py", line 401, in getprefs
     return MacPrefs.GetPrefs(self.preffilepath)
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/MacPrefs.
py", line 104, in GetPrefs
     macostools.mkdirs(head)
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Lib/macostools.py",
line 60, in mkdirs
     mkdirs(head)
   ... <ithis message appears about 200 more times> ...
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Lib/macostools.py",
line 60, in mkdirs
     mkdirs(head)
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Lib/macostools.py",
line 55, in mkdirs
     if dst == '' or os.path.exists(dst):
RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded

Any ideas?

It seems like Python is really shaping up on OS X - so far my wxPython
app is running almost exactly like the Windows version! I hadn't played
with wxPython or MachoPython for a couple months, and in that short time
they've come a long way! =)

Kevin