[Pythonmac-SIG] Bus error failure while building readline

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Sat, 03 Aug 2002 23:19:39 +0100

On 3/8/02 9:06 pm, "Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com> wrote:

> Stephane and Tony,
> Both of you seem to have installed fink stuff. I haven't, so
> that's why your seeing problems I don't see, could you help me
> debugging this?

I'll do what I can Jack, but I'm no expert in setup.py or distutils.

> I don't want to install fink, exactly because of
> the problems you're seeing: if I were preparing the distribution
> on a system with lots of fink-installed stuff there's too much
> chance of breaking things for people who don't use fink.
> (Especially since one of the fink-people told me they're moving
> away from the policy of putting everything into /sw I'm afraid
> to taint my system, I'd like to keep it as vanilla as possible).

I can completely understand that. I've certainly accepted that by using
fink, 'all bets are off' and that I'm on my own, and that it's much more
important to have an OSX python that works on stock systems! :)

I've looked at the fink FAQ and it seems that almost all the files it wants
are installed in /sw.  The reason I started using fink is that I had
problems using the Apple compiler to get things like gnuplot compiled, and
in the process I've populated /usr/local/ with quite a few things (gnu tar
and unix python being a few of them).

> I'd like the distribution to run unmodified both for people
> using vanilla OSX and people using fink-enhanced OSX, but for
> this I need feedback (such as the 'ln' issue). And if it turns
> out to be too much work at the very least there'll need to be a
> note in the readme file telling people about things like the
> LN=/bin/ln trick.

That's the ideal, certainly. I'm not sure that the problem I have is due to
fink though - it's probably something to do with my 'fiddling around' with
/usr/local/ isn't it?

I have the luxury of another, clean, OSX system - but unfortunately it
doesn't have the developer tools on it (and unfortunately there's not enough
space to install the dev tools). There's a /usr/local/ directory, but
there's nothing in it.

> On to the problem at hand, which seems to be with readline for
> both of you, although the actual symptoms are different. In both
> cases setup.py seems to be thrown into confusion.
>
> In Tony's case I think that the problem is that you have
> /usr/local/include/termcap.h, which makes setup.py guess you
> have termcap installed into /usr/local, and hence the termcap
> library in /usr/local/lib/termcap.a (or .so). If there is a
> legitimate reason for having termcap.h and not termcap.a (i.e.
> if this isn't caused by some partial install or other local
> problem): could you suggest a mod to setup.py to detect this
> situation?

I changed /usr/local/include/termcap.h to termcap.h-, did make clean;
./configure --enable-framework and then make. Got the same error though.

Bob sent this in:
-cut-

All they have to do is take the "source /sw/bin/init.csh" or whatever the
heck it is out of their ~/.cshrc and start up a new terminal..  I'm with
you, there's no good reason to support fink people when they're compiling
non-fink-based software.  All they have to do is turn it off to get a normal
OS X environment; it's certainly not worth your time to try and "debug"
these issues.

-bob

I've already done that Bob, there's no fink stuff in path or environment
variables or anything else. This seems to be a problem with compiling up
stuff into /usr/local/ previously.

I definitely agree it's not worth Jacks' time to try and debug fink issues.

I decided to be more pragmatic than correct about this, and changed the LN
variable in Makefile to /bin/ln. I also commented out some lines in setup.py
.... 384 - 386

                readline_libs.append('termcap')
#            exts.append( Extension('readline', ['readline.c'],
#                                   library_dirs=['/usr/lib/termcap'],
#                                   libraries=readline_libs) )

(I know this is a bloody awful 'solution')

The 'make', 'make frameworkinstall' and 'make osxapps' now work.

I now get the 'splash screen' problem with the IDE. That's ok, I can deal
with that tomorrow morning as I'm a bit knackered now.

Thanks for all the help in getting this far,
Tone
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140