[Pythonmac-SIG] Bus error failure while building readline

William Noon noon@snow.nrcc.cornell.edu
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 15:55:41 -0400

Jack -- I have been following along on the latest cvs builds and have
run into the same series of roadbumps.
	The permissions in Python.framework/.../Mac/Tools/IDE changed to g+w.
	The dependency on Waste for the 'make osxapps'
	Need to 'cd Mac/OSX; make installunixprograms' to get the commandline
		python in /usr/local/bin

After installing Waste, I got the IDE to build but it failed at startup.
An update from cvs fixed that and the IDE is now working.
(you know about that).

I have two systems, both at 10.1.5 and the December tools.  The first has
been hacked on for a couple years and has lots of libraries/packages
installed in /usr/local (but never a full fink install).  The second
is recent and isn't as adulterated.  The first machine builds with
readline but the second doesn't.

On machine 1 I have readline and ncurses taken from the gnu-darwin
project (same as fink versions?).  But I only installed the libraries and
include files (no /usr/local/share/termcap...) or /usr/lib/termcap.
There is the /usr/share/misc/terminfo... defs from OSX.

I will try installing only the readline libraries on machine 2 and see
if that builds the readline.so module without error.

--Bill Noon