[Pythonmac-SIG] Python for Mac OS X (again)

Michael J. Barber mjb@uma.pt
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:27:50 +0100

On Thursday, August 1, 2002, at 10:47  PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On donderdag, augustus 1, 2002, at 05:41 , Aureli Soria Frisch wrote:
>> Fink seems the most comfortable way to install unix-python on Mac OS
>> X. Did you make some bad experiences with that?
>> Could you compare a bit with other binary distributions of unix-python
>> for Mac OS X?
>> How about installing the following packages with fink:
>>
>> NumPy
>> SciPy
>> PIL
>> Gnuplot
>> Tkinter ?
>>
>> I have been using Tkinter for GUI development and thinking on changing
>> to wxPython. The GUIs are not for complex user applications, but for
>> experiment-tools internally used.
>
> Both for Tkinter and for wxPython you need a framework build of Python.
> This rules out the current fink distribution, which is a static Python.
> There's a good framework Python distribution at the wxPython site.

If you have X11 installed, you can use Tkinter and wxPython with the
Fink install. I've been experimenting a bit with Tkinter in this way;
it's a bit sluggish, but usable.

NumPy and Gnuplot work fine. You don't need X11 for Gnuplot to be quite
useful, thanks to Aquaterm (fink's gnuplot should include this).
Consider using Atlas with Numpy.

I haven't tried SciPy and PIL yet.