[Pythonmac-SIG] PIL/JPEG trouble

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 17:06:36 +0200

Just van Rossum:

> Check whether libImaging/ImConfig.h contains the line
>
>   #define HAVE_LIBJPEG 1

Ok, a whole new try... set this in ImConfig.h.in, ran configure,
checked ImConfig.h contained this line (it did), ran make, saw a
complaint about ranlib, read the advice to rerun it on libjpeg.a,
did that, typed make again (which now ran fine).

Finally, the distutils part of the PIL install went just fine, the
minitest sample works except for one single test, giving me this
error below but that looks ok. ;-)

I guess the mystery was in rerunning ranlib (I think I ran into
this before). It's quite impossible not to see the compile error,
so it's still a bit of a mystery to me.

Could the ranlib thingy be a reason for configure not to find
the JPEG lib?

Regards and thanks,

Dinu

   [localhost:/Imaging-1.1.3] dinu% python MiniTest/test.py
   Failure in example: type(im.im) # internal image attribute
   from line #31 of test.testimage
   Expected: <type 'None'>
   Got: <type 'NoneType'>
   1 items had failures: