[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac{ho}Python architecture ready for review

Tony Lownds tony@lownds.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:01:02 -0700

>And I think I've also enabled what the Fink people asked for: the
>ability to install
>in a different root. If you do "configure --enable-
>framework=/tmp/foo/Library/Frameworks" the apps will go to
>/tmp/foo/Applications/Python and the unix tools to
>/tmp/foo/usr/local/bin. So /tmp/foo should be usable to create a
>distribution that is untainted by the local system.
>
>A minor drawback of this is that if you do --enable-
>framework=$HOME/Library/Frameworks the framework and the apps will
>be deposited in the expected locations, but your unix tools will end
>up in $HOME/usr/local/bin, whereas $HOME/bin would be the more
>logical place. Suggestions on fixing this are welcome.

Hi Jack,

It sounds like we need two variables to control the destinations. The
--prefix option could be re-used logically as a second variable. How
about making these combos work in the following ways:

  --prefix=/usr/local --enable-framework=/tmp/foo    # does what Fink wants
  --prefix=/ --enable-framework=$HOME                # install in my home dir
  --prefix=/usr/local --enable-framework=/           # the default.

i.e. given --prefix=$pre --enable-framework=$fw

Application goes in $fw/Applications/Python/
Framework goes in $fw/Library/Frameworks/
Unix binaries go in $fw/$pre

If there's interest I can work on a patch (after catching up from 3
weeks of vacation).

-Tony