[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Which installer to use for MacPython-OSX?

Martina Oefelein Martina@Oefelein.de
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:19:55 +0200

--============_-1182161255==_ma============

Hello Jack,

>>Within a mac model everything should work regardless of the
>>installation directory.

I think Rudo meant this as a requirement for a true Mac software, not
as a description of the current state of MacPython

This is a requirement from the Aqua Human Interface Guidelines (page 246):
>Always let users choose a specific folder (or the Desktop) as the installation
>destination. Don't require your application to be installed in a particular
>location.

and it's a quite reasonable requirement. For example, one might
install to some "Applications to be tested" folder first,  and move
it to the Applications software later.

>there are exactly three locations where the user can install Python
>so that it will work: /, /Network or $HOME. All other locations will
>result in a non-functional installation.

If this is the current state, I would consider it as a bug, which
should be fixed. This bug shouldn't influence which installation tool
to choose.

ciao
Martina
--============_-1182161255==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Which installer to use for
regardless of the installation directory.</blockquote>
not as a description of the current state of MacPython</div>
(page 246):</div>
choose a specific folder (or the Desktop) as the
installation</font></blockquote>
Don't require your application to be installed in a
particular</font></blockquote>
color="#000000">location.</font></blockquote>
install to some &quot;Applications to be tested&quot; folder first,&nbsp;
and move it to the Applications software later.</div>
the user can install Python so that it will work: /, /Network or
$HOME. All other locations will result in a non-functional
installation.</blockquote>
should be fixed. This bug shouldn't influence which installation tool
to choose.</div>