[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Which installer to use for MacPython-OSX?

tmk lists@netelligent.biz
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:41:54 +0200

Yo,

I seem to remember that the great folks at OmniGroup had devised a
mechanism where an app embeds all related stuff  *including* its
framework (meaning you don't need to install the framework in one
of the three usual domains).

E.g. OmniWeb is packaged with all the frameworks within OmniWeb.app.

That way one can be sure that the app will work regardless of where
it's installed but, OTOH, other apps can *NOT* easily leverage the
already installed "private" frameworks.

For a tool such as python this is definitely a HUGE inconvenience
so I'm no advocating this configuration except perhaps as a special
optional packaging of Python on Mac OS X.

I'd vote for an install that puts the library under either of the
three regular locations and the apps wherever the user wants to put
them.

Just my 0,02 euros.

= tmk =