[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Which installer to use for MacPython-OSX?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:52:41 +0200

On vrijdag, augustus 23, 2002, at 04:41 , tmk wrote:

> Yo,
>
> I seem to remember that the great folks at OmniGroup had
> devised a mechanism where an app embeds all related stuff
> *including* its framework (meaning you don't need to install
> the framework in one of the three usual domains).
>
> E.g. OmniWeb is packaged with all the frameworks within OmniWeb.app.
>
> That way one can be sure that the app will work regardless of
> where it's installed but, OTOH, other apps can *NOT* easily
> leverage the already installed "private" frameworks.
>
> For a tool such as python this is definitely a HUGE
> inconvenience so I'm no advocating this configuration except
> perhaps as a special optional packaging of Python on Mac OS X.

The Omni tools indeed don't share their frameworks. If you check
in two or more of their tools you'll see a lot of duplication.
Not good for Python, especially with the applets:-( And I've
rather a high opinion of the Omni folks, so if they're not
sharing their frameworks I think there's probably a good reason
for it...

In a private discussion Rudo suggested I look at the
SharedFrameworks, but I haven't been able to find anything that
actually uses it, and the documentation I've seen is very vague
(only listing it as a possibility, without explanation for how
it would work). Does anyone have any experience with this? Does
it actually work, or is it a vaporware feature like the
role=shell plist value? Would it be suitable for Python given
the fact that we need to cater for the interpreter, the IDE,
applets and embedding applications (and non-applications, like
the OSA component)?
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -