[Pythonmac-SIG] Python RAD tools

Kevin Ollivier kevino@tulane.edu
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:51:07 -0500

> Hello all,
>
> I'm toying around with the idea of developing a Python rapid application
> development tool, initially just for the Mac. This tool is written in C
> for Carbon, so it is native in all regards and uses the Unix mach-o
> version of Python.
>
> Basically what I'm working on is a tool that allows the graphic design
> of user interfaces, similar in nature to "Interface Builder"  that then
> allows Python scripts to be executed as a result of user actions, for
> example, when a button is clicked, a user action occurs. The native file
> format for a program description is XML.

If you're initially targeting Mac and want to use an XML-based format, why
not just use Interface Builder? IB uses XML as its data format, so it should
do exactly what you want in terms of graphically designing the interface.
That way, you could focus on getting the XML into Python and parsing it. I
think, like another poster commented, that interfacing this with a tool like
anygui would make it a really powerful tool for cross-platform RAD. And once
demand grows for a cross-platform interface builder, it will probably be
easier to build it with anygui. In fact, you could probably use IB to design
the interface for the cross-platform interface builder! =)

BTW, Viper sounds like a cool name for this project!

Kevin