[Pythonmac-SIG] RAD tool (with screenshot...)

Adam Eijdenberg adam@switchedonsoftware.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:53:44 +1100

OK what I didn't make clear from the start was my original aim for this
project:

I want to create an easy way of creating GUI front ends for databases.
Like MS Access or FileMaker, but instead interfacing with other backends
such as MySQL etc. This is probably a fairly ambitions aim but let's
face it, IMHO Access is downright awful to create GUIs in (even though
you can always do what you want), and FileMaker is wonderful to create
GUIs in, but it's hard to ever get it to do exactly what you want with
them.

Python is to be to my project what Visual Basic is to Microsoft Access.
I think that is the best summary.

Anyway, I haven't done any work on connecting to a DB yet, instead
concentrating on the GUI builder. That's when I began to think this my
have some use outside of just databases. I think now I may be wrong as
there are plenty of other projects that cater to that audience.

Nevertheless, I've chucked together some pretty awful documentation and
a couple of binaries so if you are interested you can see what I've come
up with so far.

The distribution is Mac OS X only at this stage. Sorry about that OS 9
users.

Read me can be found here (and is included with the download):
http://www.switchedonsoftware.com/python/READ_ME.txt

Main applications and examples:
http://www.switchedonsoftware.com/python/Adder.tar.gz (67 KB)

You will need Python compiled as a framework. A minimal version (with no
modules at all) can be found here:
http://www.switchedonsoftware.com/python/SlimPython.tar.gz (338 KB)

AND

the obligatory screenshot (sorry about the size (227 KB), in OS X I
don't have any image converters!):
http://www.switchedonsoftware.com/python/screenshot.tiff

If you have any comments, I'd love to hear them.

Kind regards,
Adam Eijdenberg
Switched on Software

adam@switchedonsoftware.com