[Pythonmac-SIG] install problems

Alexandre Parenteau aparente@adobe.com
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 17:02:48 -0800

> How many people would like to build MacPython from source but
> haven't started with it because there's no "batteries included"
> source distribution? Doing such a distribution would be some
> effort, but not an inordinate amount, so I could probably be
> tempted to do it if enough people are interested (and if someone
> else then fixes the Tkinter problems in return:-)

Deal !

Seriously, it is a little bit cumbersome to build it from scratch. I wish I
had your hard disk sometimes...

You never posted the carbon modifications to apply to the TIFF library for
example in order to build the Carbon target. But this is only one example.

Here are my suggestions of things I would do to simplify the build process :

1- remove dependencies over InternetConfig and use Metrowerks's one
2- remove dependencies over Waste and use Metrowerks's one
3- Put imglibs, Tcl/Tk Folder, expat, gdbm... in CVS. Make it available by
CVS so people like me can trace the advancement of Tkinter.
4- Use the nice script 'MkDistr.py' and make a MacPythonLibs distribution
which includes all the third parties libraries
5- checkout python and try to build from scratch !

Alex.

--
Alexandre Parenteau
Computer Scientist