[Pythonmac-SIG] install problems

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.nl
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:36:02 +0100

On Friday, January 25, 2002, at 11:02  PM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:

> In the service of the VPython project (http://vpython.org), we
> are trying to compile Python 2.2 from source on a Mac. "Out of
> the box" we can't get compiles to work.

Not many people develop from source, and most tend to be "old
hands", so there's a good chance you're running into problems.
Let's try and solve them:-)

> We take the source for Python 2.2 and for GUSI2, and try to
> build using Metrowerks 7.0. We can't get GUSI to build because
> we get lots of compile errors. We can't build Python because it
> needs to link some missing GUSI libraries.

Which GUSI did you try? You need the special GUSI that comes
with MacPython (referenced on the homepage). It's not so special
anymore, it's in the main GUSI CVS repository nowadays, but
there are no official (i.e. by Matthias) distributions of it.

If you did indeed use that GUSI please send a list of the errors
you get.

> We also got Python by CVS from sourceforge and tried to build,
> but an attempt to build gives large numbers of errors talking
> about missing files. The project settings for access paths in
> fact look wrong, listing only (Project): and (Compiler):.

Again, if you can post the error messages we should be able what
goes wrong.

> We thought we saw various statements about being able to
> compile "out of the box" (and also that the CVS download would
> give us everything, including GUSI files). Help?

Nope, GUSI is completely separate, as are some other modules you
need to build a complete Python (expat, zlib, possibly tcl/tk,
image libraries...). :Mac:Demo:building.html should have
explained all this, if information is missing there I would love
to hear it so we can fix the document.

How many people would like to build MacPython from source but
haven't started with it because there's no "batteries included"
source distribution? Doing such a distribution would be some
effort, but not an inordinate amount, so I could probably be
tempted to do it if enough people are interested (and if someone
else then fixes the Tkinter problems in return:-)
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -