[Pythonmac-SIG] Proof of concept - Cocoa Python applet with Interface Builder!

Daniel Brotsky dev@brotsky.com
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:11:27 -0700

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 03:07 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:
> If you want to have a look at this: get
> http://www.cwi.nl/ftp/jack/python/mac/nibpythonexample.tar.gz, read the
> README and play away!

I've finally gotten this working.  Very cool, Jack (et al), thanks!  I
thought the following experiences I had building and running all of this
might help others who are trying:

1. I had problems building MachoPython under Mac OS X with a fink-based
environment; I've reported those separately.

2. The README in dist/src/Mac/OSX/ fails to mention the make target
installunixprograms (which is very handy), and the README in the
nibexample directory mistakenly calls it installunixcommands.

3. Doing make installmacsubtree in Mac/OSX/ doesn't actually install the
"Mac/scripts" directory that the nib example's buildpyapp.sh relies on.
(It only installs the lib and lib-scriptpackages dirs.)  This has to be
done manually.  (Perhaps installmacsubtree should install the scripts
dir?)

4. There is a very handy Mac/OSX/ make target symlinkmacsubtree which is
not documented in the README file.  This target does install the
Mac/scripts directory (via the symlink) and I suspect it's what Jack
uses, but it fails if it's run after installmacsubtree (because the
symlink would replace the actual directory).

5. Someone else has already mentioned that Jack used the beta
projectbuilder to build the objc stuff; I also found that it worked fine
just to use the released one.

I'm happy to help update the Mac/OSX documentation, etc., but (as
outlined in my process question earlier) I'm not quite sure how to go
about it.  All suggestions welcome.

     dan