[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Newbie question about shared libraries and QuickTime

Dean Draayer draayer@surfglobal.net
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 15:02:33 -0500

> As far as easy reference to the docstrings goes, you might want to
try
> PyDoc. Does anybody know if it runs under OS 9?

I use it under MacOS 8.6 (running MacPython 2.1).  Very handy - but
only to the extent that informative docstrings are written :(

You may find it convenient to put a script to access pydoc in your
Python IDE scripts menu - it might go something like this:

#----------
import sys

if __name__ == '__main__':
	   from EasyDialogs import AskString
    from pydoc import Helper

	   helper = Helper(sys.stdin, sys.stdout)
	   topic = AskString('Help topic:', '')
   	if topic != None:	# user didn't cancel
	       if topic == '':
			         helper.intro()
		      else:
			         helper.help(topic)

PyDoc can also output HTML (pydoc.writedoc function, I think?).

--Dean