[Pythonmac-SIG] Building a MacPython-OSX on top of Jaguar's /usr/bin/python

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:17:10 +0100

On Friday, Nov 22, 2002, at 11:52 Europe/Amsterdam, Just van Rossum
wrote:

> Jack Jansen wrote:
>
>> An alternative is to do away with FSSpecs completely, and switch to
>> FSRefs everywhere, but this would require first implementing enough
>> support for FSRefs, and then fixing all the Python code (especially
>> FSSpecs pointing to non-existing files will be a problem).
>
> I've quickly scanned the IDE's usage of FSSpecs:
>
>   for [G|S]etCreatorType   5 occurances (perhaps
> MacOS.[G|S]etCreatorType()
>                              can be used instead?)
>   after FindFolder         1 in MacPrefs.py
>   for NewAlias             1 (to store an alias in to scripts folder)

You're forgetting the fsspecs you get back from the file dialogs.

Basically I think that if we create a macfs replacement that does
without fsspecs completely
then we're almost done. At least, the rest can either wait (quicktime
and such) or
already has a rudimentary fsref interface (res).

> My rewritten Mac/scripts/buildappbundle.py didn't fail, but I'm not
> sure what
> the installed python-additions/Python.app is supposed to do.
> Double-clicking it
> fails (prints an error to Console.app, see below), and that could be
> caused by
> my code. What is it supposed to do?

Don't touch it. It's the .app bundle that is used by the pythonw
script. It should probably
become invisible, or at the very least it shouldn't be at the toplevel
of the additions
folder. (It's basically the same as the Python.app down in
Python.framework/Versions/Current/Resources).
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -