[Pythonmac-SIG] Building a MacPython-OSX on top of Jaguar's /usr/bin/python

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:16:35 +0100

On Friday, Nov 22, 2002, at 13:17 Europe/Amsterdam, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On Friday, Nov 22, 2002, at 11:52 Europe/Amsterdam, Just van Rossum
> wrote:
>
>> Jack Jansen wrote:
>>
>>> An alternative is to do away with FSSpecs completely, and switch to
>>> FSRefs everywhere, but this would require first implementing enough
>>> support for FSRefs, and then fixing all the Python code (especially
>>> FSSpecs pointing to non-existing files will be a problem).
>>
>> I've quickly scanned the IDE's usage of FSSpecs:
>>
>>   for [G|S]etCreatorType   5 occurances (perhaps
>> MacOS.[G|S]etCreatorType()
>>                              can be used instead?)
>>   after FindFolder         1 in MacPrefs.py
>>   for NewAlias             1 (to store an alias in to scripts folder)
>
> You're forgetting the fsspecs you get back from the file dialogs.
>
> Basically I think that if we create a macfs replacement that does
> without fsspecs completely
> then we're almost done. At least, the rest can either wait (quicktime
> and such) or
> already has a rudimentary fsref interface (res).

I got angry and implemented Carbon.File and Carbon.Folder: interfaces
to everything in Files.h and Folders.h.
It's a function interface at the moment (because the FSRef and FSSpec
objects are still defined in macfs)
but at least now we have FSRef versions of FindFolder and such.

I'll try and do Aliases next,
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -