[Pythonmac-SIG] Okay folks--show me how and I'll write it up...

Daniel Lord daniellord@telocity.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:36:02 -0800

Here is an example of what we'd all like to see from the Mac Python
Community (those Perl folks are way ahead of us):

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/11/22/itunes_perl.html

And, as the saying goes, if you want it done--do it yourself. Okay I
will--I have the time to learn and document and I will. But..
I need some help and pointers first:
1) I have a framework install of Python-2.2.2 and AquaTk on 10.2.1 but
I get simple errors even after hand-copying the Mac/Lib modules
(including lib-scriptpackages) See ERROR 1 below for an example.

2) osam looks interesting but...the project file is corrupted so I
don't have a template of what to include to build it. Any docs any
where?

3) Is any of this fixed in 2.3a0--I retrieved it from CVS yesterday but
hesitate to install it and ruin my framework install or,
  worse yet, pester you all with defects I induced by doing that.

4) Jack wrote message about installing MacPython innocuously over a
framework install. Before I do this, does it work for 2.3a0?

5) any other docs, examples, etc. on how to use Applescript with
Python--send me a pointer please.

ERROR 1
========
[anduril:~/Learning/python/Applescript] daniello% pythonw
codewarrior1.py
original argc=2
original argv[0] = "/Applications/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/python"
original argv[1] = "codewarrior1.py"
modified argc=2
modified argv[0] = "/Applications/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/python"
modified argv[1] = "codewarrior1.py"
running sitecustomize.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "codewarrior1.py", line 1, in ?
     import CodeWarrior
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.2/lib/python2.2/site-
packages/CodeWarrior/__init__.py", line 5, in ?
     import aetools
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.2/lib/python2.2/site-
packages/aetools.py", line 31, in ?
     from aepack import pack, unpack, coerce, AEDescType
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.2/lib/python2.2/site-
packages/aepack.py", line 61, in ?
     _sample_fss = macfs.FSSpec(':')
MacOS.Error: (-43, 'File not found')

** I think Jack Jansen commented about this in a thread, but I cannot
find the fix now.