[Pythonmac-SIG] Okay folks--show me how and I'll write it up...

Daniel Lord daniellord@telocity.com
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:01:07 -0800

Thank you all--I have my advice and pointers and I am off. I will
document my successes and the list will hear about the road blocks
along the way. I actually put iTunes down on my list ranked by priority
behind scripting Mail and Address Book to do interesting things like
archiving mail in MySQL and writing a common format XML for Address
book one might use XLT with to print nicely formatted address list and
books and to allow people with Exchange address books at work to
synchronize them with their address books on OS X at home, etc., etc.

Perhaps I am biased, but I prefer the object-oriented core and base of
Python and it's readability and extensibility (look at Jython as an
example) over arcane, inconsistent, non-orthongonal, idiosyncratic
listing processing Perl (told you I was biased ;-). Perl's richest
asset is the availability of copious documentation and CPAN and,
conversely, the lack of an analog for Python is Python's poorest asset
and greatest inhibitor to widespread adoption (although ActiveState's
Cookbook is helping despite its obvious Windows slant). Perl has
stretched beyond it's intentions or design (like adding pseudo OOP)
because access to a evolutionary language has been limited. It is my
personal belief that, although Python has been mostly successful on it
merits alone, its adoption has been slowed by a access barriers
including a lack of documentation and repositories such as CPAN.
Perhaps I can help in a small way on OS X. Python OSA is what Apple
should have done before they created Applescript IMHO. Imagine the
system and applications administration possibilities. Oh well, back to
Earth and the reality distortion field.

And as Michael Barber said and it is worth repeating and remembering:
> Finally, I'd like to make a suggestion for Daniel and anyone else who
> takes part in this project: document what you're doing and turn it
> into a tutorial. I struggled when learning how to do OSA scripting
> from Python, others have said that they struggled, and I've seen the
> painful learning process that at least one person has gone through on
> this mailing list. Python is a lot nicer than AppleScript for OSA
> scripting, but it's pretty hard to get started. In my opinion, this is
> in part due to the small number of examples.

Michael, I intend to work on it.  Guido, Jack, and Just and so many
others are busy adding to Python, so some of us need to start adding to
it's application and documentation. And, of course, I will write it up
for what it's worth.

P.S. And BTW, can the SIG archives be setup so they are searchable on
line? That would have saved me from mailing all of you with these
questions.

Daniel Lord
--
daniellordATtelocityDOTcom
"My  dancing, drinking, and singing weave me the mat

                   -- Old Man of Halmahera, Indonesia