[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.2.2 and Tkinter installation problems on OS X

Nicholas Riley Nicholas Riley" <njriley@uiuc.edu
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 09:14:29 -0800

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 6:50AM -0500, Michael Hudson wrote:
> Nicholas Riley <njriley@uiuc.edu> writes:
>
>>  On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:21:15AM +0000, Michael Hudson wrote:
>>  >
>>  > >   I did a 'find . -perm 711' in Python.framework and the only
>> other
>>  > >   file I found outside lib/dynload that had the wrong permissions
>> was
>>  > >   pydoc.
>>  >
>>  > pydoc had rwx--x--x?  That seems surprising.
>>
>>  Pydoc seems to be in a class by itself in setup.py, 'scripts',
>>  different from the python executable, which is installed by the
>>  'altbininstall' target of the Makefile properly using
>> $(INSTALL_PROGRAM).
>
> Yeah, I know that, but I thought distutils set script's permissions
> properly -- don't you get a 'changing permissions of pydoc to 0755'
> message during the install?

It appears to depend on the initially installed permissions: if they're
700, then you get:

Changing mode of
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.2/bin/pydoc to 711

This is rather obviously a bug in install_scripts.py: it does 'perm OR
0111' (sorry, no pipe key on this keyboard and I don't remember the
Unicode correspondence :) instead of 0555, which is necessary for
scripts to be read by the Python interpreter.
--
Nicholas Riley <njriley@uiuc.edu>