[Pythonmac-SIG] Novice Just Starting

Louis M. Pecora pecora@anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 09:15:53 -0400

--============_-1176829940==_ma============

>I am an unsophisticated programmer just starting to learn Python.  I
>have been a "ham and bean" programmer for quite a fews years but
>always worked in high level languages.  I have programmed in APL,
>Basic, Visual Basic, and applications such as Paradox, 1-2-3, and
>Access so I know how to use IF, WHILE, and other such functions.  I
>like Python because of its simplicity and the fact that you can
>start programming and "learn as you go".    I'm looking for answers
>to problems and not the beauty of a well written and structured
>program.  My son, who is a professional programmer and writes tools
>for the other programmers, cringes at my spaghetti code.
>
>I am currently using a Mac computer running OS X 10.2.1 and I
>downloaded MacPython (I think that is what it is called), but I have
>not installed the Apple Developer files when I upgraded to 10.2.
>Should I install these files?
>
>I feel I am ready to start writing the code I need to solve a
>particular problem but I need a good input/output GUI for the user
>of my soon to be written program.   I tried to access Tkinter which
>was downloaded with Python but I can't seem to import it to try it
>out.
>
>Is there a GUI program available that I can use with Python and if
>so what do I need to do to acquire it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Charles Lloyd
>The Woodlands, TX

Under the old MacPython I use you did an

import macfs

then used the routines like

macfs.StandardGetFile()

and

macfs.StandardPutFile('Output')

to access the open/save dialogs.

Check out the macfs.py module.

BTW, you'll love Python.  :-)

--
Lou Pecora
email:  Louis.M.Pecora@nrl.navy.mil

 --></style><title>Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Novice Just
starting to learn Python.&nbsp; I have been a &quot;ham and bean&quot;
programmer for quite a fews years but always worked in high level
languages.&nbsp; I have programmed in APL, Basic, Visual Basic, and
applications such as Paradox, 1-2-3, and Access so I know how to use
IF, WHILE, and other such functions.&nbsp; I like Python because of
its simplicity and the fact that you can start programming and
&quot;learn as you go&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm looking for answers
to problems and not the beauty of a well written and structured
program.&nbsp; My son, who is a professional programmer and writes
tools for the other programmers, cringes at my spaghetti
code.</blockquote>
running OS X 10.2.1 and I downloaded MacPython (I think that is what
it is called), but I have<u> not</u> installed the Apple Developer
files when I upgraded to 10.2.&nbsp; Should I install these
files?</blockquote>
code I need to solve a particular problem but I need a good
input/output GUI for the user of my soon to be written program.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I tried to access Tkinter which was downloaded with Python but I can't
seem to import it to try it out.</blockquote>
can use with Python and if so what do I need to do to acquire
it?</blockquote>

Lou Pecora<br>
email:&nbsp; Louis.M.Pecora@nrl.navy.mil<br>
Code 6340, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C. 20375,
U.S.A.<br>
Voice (Me): 202-767-6002&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; FAX:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
202-767-1697<br>
&nbsp;== My comments are my own and do not reflect the views of the
U.S. Navy. ==<br>
&nbsp;== No Spamming or solicitations -- both are illegal at this site
==<br>
Check out our Nonlinear Dynamics Web site:
http://chaos-mac.nrl.navy.mil/<br>
---- Conferences

2002, 25-29 August 2002 San Diego, CA</font></div>
http://experimentalchaosconference.org</font></div>
Nonlinear Science 3-8 August 2003.</font></div>
face="Times New Roman" size="+2"
color="#000000">www.grc.uri.edu</font><font
color="#000000"></font></div>