[Pythonmac-SIG] Restrictions on what you can do in a Python module?

Robb Brown brownr at ucalgary.ca
Wed Aug 27 10:40:58 EDT 2003

I'm trying to write wrappers for dcmtk (a toolkit for the medical
imaging DICOM standard).  At the moment I have three functions, to open
an association (basically a network connection), close it, and send an
echo request (like a ping).  A test program written entirely in C works
fine but when compiled as a module and called from Python I get an
illegal instruction when the dcmtk function to actually open the
association is called.  I believe this function is simply opening a
socket, connecting to a server and negotiating what flavour of the
protocol to use.

Are there things that simply can't be done in a Python module?  What
exactly is an illegal instruction?

Thanks for any help,

Robb