[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Gordon McMillan's installer question for the Mac (take 2)

Python Development dev_python at impactdev.com
Sat Aug 30 20:40:58 EDT 2003

We have bigger issues than threading....

We need to be able to communicate outside the McMillan installer.
Gordon states that you can not.  I need to either use local UNIX
sockets or a NSDistributedNotificationCenter to hook up to the UI
running as a different process.

Has anyone been able to communicate outside the McMillan installer
using local UNIX sockets or a cfmessageport or even a

On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 03:25  PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On 30-aug-03, at 3:13, Python Development wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently in our PC product, the Gordon McMillan wrapper is ran
>> within a thread, while the other thread runs the UI.  On the Mac, we
>> had some problems with that,
> [...]
>
> Randy,
> what I only realised after reading your message for the second time is
> that it could
> make a difference *which* thread runs the UI. On MacOSX it *must* be
> the main thread
> that runs the UI. As far as I know this is true for all (non-X11) UI
> libraries
> on the Mac, it has something to do with the way Mach threads are
> handled.
> --
> Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
> If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma
> Goldman

Randy Chapel
Mac, Window, Unix, Palm, Internet and Java engineering
www.chapelhome.com, www.impactdev.com