[Pythonmac-SIG] Nuances of Bundle Builder when moving betweenversions of

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Dec 12 09:45:53 EST 2003

On 12 Dec 2003, at 15:01, Steven Palm wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2003, at 6:33 AM, Bob Swerdlow wrote:
>> We had precisely this same problem and "solved" it by doing our
>> builds on a
>> machine with Jaguar.  That works, but its a pain.  On the other hand,
>> think it was C.A.R.Hoare who said in the early 1980s that "any
>> program that
>> works is better than one that doesn't" :-)
>
>  I would love to have some of you folks out here with more experience
> in this stuff to take a whack at it... I tried, but never quite got
> there.
>
>  Panther has the cross-platform SDK's to link against the Jaguar
> system frameworks. This all works from within XCode by telling it what
> your deployment platform is. I thought that surely there must be a way
> to get this to work from a Makefile type build, but I never had any
> luck.
>
>  Has anyone toyed with this?

I don't have the time, but I would really like to hear it too if
someone puts some time into this. I think that setting the appropriate
environment variables should do the trick.

What I can offer is a suggestion on how to test this:
1. Build Python from source, on Panther, with a normal configure
--enable-framework/make frameworkinstall.
2. Ship this build to a Jaguar machine. It shouldn't work.
3. Redo the build (don't forget make clean), but now with the
cross-development environment variables set.
4. Ship this build to a jaguar machine, it should now work.
--
Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>        http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
Goldman