[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: 2.3b1 installer suggestions

Bugbee, Larry larry.bugbee@boeing.com
Thu, 1 May 2003 07:52:30 -0700

	>   And then...  How about an installer option to 'disable'=20
	> /usr/bin/python?  That too could be a Good Thing.

	Hmm... No, I think I don't want to do this. What the installer (or=20
	something else?) could check is that /usr/local/bin is on your $PATH,=20
	and that it comes before /usr/bin. Would that be good enough? Who=20
	should check this? I'm thinking that we may want an application similar =

	to OS9 EditPythonPrefs that allows you to set all sorts of Python=20
	preferences (probably by mucking with ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist).

Disable, path resequencing... I really dunno.  Novice users will not =
understand either, although a case could be made that they should.  I =
guess I still prefer disable because I cannot think of any real reason =
the /usr/bin version has to be there.  I don't believe even Apple uses =
it, and if we are truely backward compatible...   And changing the dir =
order in the path _could_ affect other stuff.  I agree changing the dir =
order makes the most sense but because the *nix community historically =
has had it the other way, are we asking for problems?  I don't know.  =
...and the Novice surely doesn't.

Anybody?

	> 3. The PackageManager didn't work.  Looking at PackageManager.py, =
line=20
	> 83, there is no URL.  Is this intentional for this beta?

	It should work... It should open the default database, which is (from=20
	Lib/plat-mac/pimp.py):
	DEFAULT_PIMPDATABASE=3D"http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/pimp/pimp-%s.plist" %=20
	distutils.util.get_platform()

	Do you get an error message? An empty package window?  Nothing?

No package window.  The errors scrolled by very fast in a new window and =
then was dismissed... Problem 1.  I altered PackageManager.py so I could =
could see the messages in Terminal, and 'None' was the url.  Launching =
from Terminal may have bypassed any -D argv stuff... I just don't know.  =
I'll try again tonight.