[Slight OT] RE: [Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a UR L scheme

Schollnick, Benjamin Benjamin.Schollnick at usa.xerox.com
Wed Oct 8 14:17:52 EDT 2003

> I'd still like the option of executable code, but then it would be the
> exception, so we could do something similar to what Apple's Installer
> does
> on Panther: if the package wants to execute code *before* you've said
> "yes"
> to install it it pops up a warning dialog saying "This
> installer wants
> run code on your machine to do some pre-install tests. Is that okay
> with you?".

Sorry... Slightly off topic....

But I ran into this today, while installing the new versions of ICal &
Isync....  And it was a little suprising, but nice to see that warning!

This is a feature that should be added, and should be *ENSURED* is available
on all the OSes assuming this does become Cross Platform...

Not having this "warning", is a large security issue...  Which is half the
problem with Windows!

		- Benjamin