[Pythonmac-SIG] What's MacPython missing?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Oct 16 02:21:57 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Oct 16, 2003, at 02:03 America/New_York, bugs wrote:

> Bob....
>
>>> PS:  Did M2Crypto make the list?
>>
>> I just got M2Crypto to compile.. I had to hack the SWIG .i files and
>> remove a lot of "const", add the rc5 methods and remove the aes
>> methods.. but I can put that in my Package Manager repository and post
>> the modified source later today.
>
> Interesting.  That should work.
>
> I sense you built m2crypto-0.12-snap1 for Py2.3 to access Apple's
> OpenSSL 0.9.6i (Feb 19 2003), and if that's the case, you may want to
> so note in the install doc.  I say that because I found messing with
> OpenSSL can be just that....  messy.

Yeah, that's what I did.

> If one is not careful, you can get dragged into having to fix a string
> of other dependencies on Apple's OpenSSL 0.9.6x.  I wanted AES so I
> built m2crypto-0.12 for py23 to use OpenSSL 0.9.7c (30 Sep 2003) which
> I built and installed in /usr/local.  ...and then built my M2Crypto
> around that.

Ah.. well, if AES is needed then I'll have to do that, or depend on
Panther (it includes AES).  What do you think?

> FWIW, I never got distutils/setup.py to emit the include files on the
> swig command line.  I did some poking around and it seems there is a
> bug in lib/distutils/build_ext.py (at about line 531).  Attempts to
> mod setup.py to include swig dirs fails.  The dirs are not seen by
> build_ext.py, the dirs it does see are wrong, and NO include dirs make
> it to the swig command line.  The workaround, fixing and running
> Makefile.osx, was successful.  It sounds like we may be ready for
> distutils2.  :-)

Yeah, well I took a different approach, I modified setup.py to run swig
by hand (naive approach: swig nomatter what argv is.. real approach
would be to make a fixed build_ext class, like Pyrex uses) and then I
told distuils to treat the generated C wrapper as a regular C
extension.. I didn't use the Makefile because it's just as easy for me
to change a distutils script than it is to create a Makefile that
builds with one particular version of Python.