[Pythonmac-SIG] PackageManager wishlists, please! (was: unixy python and applescript)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Sep 1 00:14:27 EDT 2003

On 31-aug-03, at 22:50, Chris Lee wrote:
>> Information like this I need to make Package Manager a success: if
>> there are packages
>> that people want I'd love to know. Depending on a number of factors
>> (how many
>> people want it, is it easy, is someone willing to do the work so I
>> only have to
>> shove it into the database, etc) I'll add it.
>
> You are cruising for trouble there.  Every package has someone who
> uses it.  I think this is far and away the biggest problem I have with
> python is that with the exception of Numpy and pil absolutely nothing
> will install out of the box and there are bugger all mac ready
> versions of any packages around.

Well, we have to start somewhere, don't we? And there already is Bob
Ippolito's
collection of packages at
<http://undefined.org/python/pimp/darwin-6.6-Power_Macintosh.plist>,
of which I've said that I'll include anything that people want, which
hasn't
had much followup since then...

Hmm, Bob's database isn't mentioned on the Package Manager homepage.
I'll
rectify that shortly, and I'll also add a note that people are invited
create their own databases too.
Goldman