[Pythonmac-SIG] Creating an applet that includes wxPython

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Sep 7 18:29:30 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Sep 7, 2003, at 16:48 America/New_York, Just van Rossum
wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>>> 3rd party packages. How deep is potool's dependence on ctypes?
>>
>> Very shallow, it just uses the Structure class for convenience.  I'll
>> write a metaclass that does what ctypes Structure module does (as far
>> as I'm using it, at least) and post a new version today.
>
> Cool. Now if you could turn it into a one-file module, I'm sure Jack
> won't mind checking it into plat-mac... But let's plan this out a bit
> more before we waste too much time.
>
> Does potools support otool -L type stuff? It would be really useful if
> we could do some automatic dependency checking.

It is pretty much a one file module, pinstall_name_tool and potool are
examples of how to use it (they emulate otool -L[v] and
pinstall_name_tool) using the mach_o module.  The functionality from
both of these can easily be turned into convenience methods in the
mach_o module.

Yes, it does everything otool -L and otool -Lv does, and it does
everything that install_name_tool does.  It should even have the same
output format.

> Another problem with bundlebuilder is that it needs the dev tools
> installed for --strip to work, which is kindof neccesary to produce
> bundles of an acceptable size. Have you any idea whether a pure Python
> version of strip would be feasable? Alternatively, we could perhaps
> ship
> the strip executable somehow, if the license would allow that. An IDE
> could just include it for example.

I don't see any reason why strip couldn't be emulated.  I'd need to
wrap more of the mach_o headers, for sure, but it would probably be a
nifty experiment to have pure python access to the whole symbol table.
Currently, it can read the entire mach-o header, though it only
understands the parts relevant to otool / install_name_tool.