[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: TimeCyclerLab 0.1 available!

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Thu Sep 11 11:49:46 EDT 2003

Hi,

and on we go.... "TimeCyclerLab" is a light prototyping workbench
for my TimeCycler screensaver on Mac OS X. The PyObjC code is *so*
much simpler compared to the ObjC one for the real screensaver!
Please see the attached Readme below. Glad to hear your comments!

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"I am a gentlemen: I live by robbing the poor." (George Bernard Shaw)

TimeCyclerLab
=============

Summary
-------

TimeCyclerLab is a prototyping workbench for a similar screensaver.

Overview
--------

TimeCyclerLab is a Mac OS X Cocoa GUI tool which has been used for
prototyping the TimeCycler screensaver [1]_. It provides two modes,
interactive and clock mode and serves as graphic testing workbench.

Basics
------

TimeCyclerLab provides a nested set of stacked circular progress
bars - in other words: an analog clock! This application allows
to set the individual hands interactively by just clicking and/or
dragging them in interactive mode. In clock mode the analog clock
shows the current time.

History
-------

:0.1: first release, packaged with Python 2.2.3 and PyObjC 1.0b [2]_.

Requirements
------------

There are no special requirements for running TimeCyclerLab. It
ships as a standalone application which should be running on any
Mac OS X 10.x, althouth it was developped on 10.2. As it comes with
full source code you can build TimeCyclerLab yourself, if you have
Apple's developer tools installed, plus some Python interpreter
version 2.2 or higher, plus PyObjC 1.0b.

Licence
-------

TimeCyclerLab is released under the GPL - see the included file,
"GPL.txt".

Download
--------

The TimeCyclerLab distribution, screenshots and a sample movie of
TimeCyclerLab in action are all available from:

   http://python.net/~gherman/TimeCyclerLab.html

Notes
------

I tried using the ubiquitous metal look for TimeCyclerLab, but when
doing so, it behaves really strange: when dragging single clock hands
the entire window moves across the screen. I'd be interested to know
how to fix this...

Future
------

TimeCycler, the real screensaver which was prototyped using this
application contains many more knobs to play with. I'll probably
bring all of them back to to this prototype, again, one day.

Links
-----

.. [1] http://python.net/~gherman/TimeCycler.html
.. [2] http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/