[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.3 vs 2.2, VTK, and Carbon

Brian Lenihan brian_l at mac.com
Thu Sep 18 03:32:36 EDT 2003

Bob's right.  It does take forever to build, but VTK from CVS built and
passed make test with no modifications using gcc 3.3.   Either there is
something different about the build environment prior to Panther which
causes the missing math.h reference, or I got lucky and answered all
the CMake questions correctly.  I turned on "advanced questions" and
answered the questions in what seemed to be the logical fashion.  I did
a Release build, as I presume a debug build would fail without a
corresponding debug Python framework.

I have Apple's and Fink's Python binaries renamed to avoid getting any
conflicts and CMake seemed to make the correct choices even though it
asked some problematic questions like where is my Python debug
framework? even after I specified a Release build.  I used a framework
build of Tcl/Tk 8.4 and only saw one bogus default CMake default answer
referring to my Fink Tcl/Tk install.  I ignored it because it seemed
harmless since CMake had previously correctly inferred I was using a
framework build of Tcl/Tk

I can import vtk and a dir(vtk) looks OK.  A real test will have to
wait for another day.   The August Dev tools released yesterday may
also work.