[Pythonmac-SIG] How-To upgrade Apples python installation in Mac OS X 10.3 from python 2.3 to 2.4

Christian Meesters cmeesters at ucdavis.edu
Wed Dec 8 20:13:56 CET 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2004, at 1:53 PM, Christian Meesters wrote:
>
>> On Dec 8, 2004, at 1:06 AM, Robert Valsjö wrote:
>>
>>> How to upgrade Apples python installation in Mac OS X 10.3 from
>>> python 2.3 to 2.4
>
>> Thanks, interesting. But does anybody know how this will effect
>> pythonw (e.g. for use with wxPython)?
>> Admittingly I'm a bit hesitant to try out.
>
> The title is incorrect, it doesn't upgrade anything.  It installs a
> new Python that is entirely separate from the existing installation.
>
> /usr/local/bin/python is Python 2.4.0
> /usr/bin/python is Python 2.3.0
>
> /usr/local/bin/pythonw is Python 2.4.0
> /usr/bin/pythonw is Python 2.3.0
Sure, I realised that we are dealing here with a fresh installation,
but wasn't aware that this will include the pythonw framework. I guess
your explicit statement is enough for people like me to understand ;-).
I'll try it out this afternoon.

> The only "upgrade" is the change to the PATH environment variable,
> which prioritizes /usr/local/bin over anything else when looking for
> what to execute if a full path isn't specified.  Your wxPython for
> Python 2.3.0 is still there, and will be available from
> /usr/bin/pythonw.  Of course, it won't be available from Python 2.4.0
> unless you compile and install such a version of wxPython.
Alas, this has to wait until wxPython will be upgraded.

Thanks Bob and Robert,
Christian