[Pythonmac-SIG] PyCon 2005

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Dec 11 00:50:47 CET 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 6:23 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:

> I'm thinking of proposing a talk at PyCon 2005 about MacPython, and
> I'd like to run my idea by the list:
>
> As I see it, there are three killer features in MacPython that you
> can't get anywhere else: PyObjC, CoreGraphics, and scripting with
> appscript.  Given that 30 or 45 minutes won't be nearly enough to talk
> about all three, I'm thinking of focusing on the general topic of
> "scripting OS X" using appscript and CoreGraphics (AFAIK there's been
> a number of "Intro to PyObjC" talks given in the past, and I don't
> really want to reinvent the wheel).
>
> If there's anyone else proposing a talk at PyCon, I'd like to avoid
> stepping on any toes (as far as I'm concerned, the more MacPython
> talks the better), so if this overlaps/competes with your cool idea,
> please let me know.

I did the "60 Minutes of MacPython" talk at PyCon 2004.  I was
initially thinking about doing another one this year, but I'm leaning
towards doing a talk on just PyObjC.  So, it would be awesome if you
did a talk on CoreGraphics and appscript.  That would leave me to talk
about what I know best and am most interested in :)

My slides, proposal, slide-creation-scripts, and notes taken during my
presentation by the audience last year are available here:
http://svn.red-bean.com/bob/pycon/2004/trunk/

I will likely break my PyObjC talk it into two separate 30 minute
sessions: "intro to PyObjC" and "hacking with PyObjC".

The first of which would be more like a tutorial and go over the
obvious rapid development facilities that you have available such as
Cocoa Bindings, using WebKit, table views, writing py2app scripts,
using the Xcode template, using Renaissance instead of Interface
Builder, what people are doing with PyObjC, etc.

The second would go into writing plugins for existing applications,
hacking existing classes with categories, injecting Python into
arbitrary pids using pyject (a wrapper bbum and I wrote around
mach_inject), wrapping near-arbitrary not-ObjC functions with
loadBundleFunctions (a la ctypes), and possibly talk a little about the
gritty implementation details of PyObjC if there's time/interest.

If you have any questions or would like to collaborate a bit on our
proposals/slides/scripts then feel free to contact me on or off list.